Automation as a solution to five key challenges of sustainability impact measurement
In this process, they face a series of difficulties that complicate data analysis and delay the preparation of reporting reports, which translates into a loss of efficiency for the company.APlanet, a Spanish startup specializing in technologies applied to sustainability management, argues that automation is the key solution to solving the five challenges that professionals face when measuring the impact of their organizations.
Today, the main challenge for companies in the field of sustainable development is reporting. Both those who are required by Law 11/2018 on extra-financial information and diversity and those who take these measures out of conviction, must involve their teams and defend their commitment to sustainable development with data that demonstrates the value that they share not only with society, but also with businesses. Technology is the key to measuring this contribution and streamlining reporting, ” says Johanna Gallo, CEO and co-founder of Planetet.
For the company, the five key challenges for measuring the impact on the sustainability of organizations are:
– Consolidation of information Relevant data on sustainability is distributed among the different departments (Human Resources, Operations, Purchasing, etc.). Putting all of this information together in one place would save responsible professionals a lot of manual compilation time. Thanks to a tool specializing in sustainability management, this data could be collected automatically, feeding with it a central system in charge of consolidating all the information collected.
– Reliability of information: The main obstacle facing companies is the difficulty of assessing the contribution and return on investment of each project carried out, which is linked to the poor quality of the information processed in these areas. The application of the appropriate technology would, however, make it possible to store updated data in real time, detect irregularities and incorporate documents and invoices attesting to this data, thus increasing the reliability of the information.
– Parameterization and definition of KPIs. To measure, it is necessary to establish the parameters to be taken into account when analyzing the data, and the most advisable is to adopt some of the global standards for measuring sustainability, such as GRI, SABS o RI, in more to link the impact to one of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) defined by the UN. When all the consolidated information is available in a single platform adjusted to standards, it is possible to define a dashboard with the KPIs that interest us and, automatically, visualize its evolution and its adaptation to the objectives, follow its impact by sectors or zones geographic areas, etc., which greatly facilitates reporting.
– Administrative burden and provision of resources Companies devote specific resources to the development of all this activity, which is normally the responsibility of the CSR or Sustainable Development director, or the HRD. When all of this is not automated, these professionals spend a large portion of their day in the process of researching, consolidating and measuring data. However, exempt from this administrative burden, they can devote more time to defining business strategies and executing projects, which translates into greater productivity and efficiency in the activities carried out in terms of sustainability.
– Involve stakeholders: for the sustainable development strategy to be truly effective and to report on the results, it is essential to involve all the company’s stakeholders (employees, customers, investors, suppliers). But this task is not easy and it is one of the main obstacles for organizations. Have a tool allowing the segmented and personalized sending of surveys, as well as maintaining active social listening on social networks, facilitating the follow-up of conversations and the analysis of opinions on social, environmental and good governance, to obtain meaningful data around them.
Having a technology platform like APlanet represents a turning point when it comes to effectively managing all aspects of non-financial business activity. Automation allows every professional to devote as much of their day as possible to truly productive tasks, eliminating others that technology can do to make our lives easier, ” says Johanna Gallo.